Thursday, January 06, 2005

Addiction, Drugs, Homelessness, and Devastation

The San Francisco Chronicle had an incredible article on a set of homeless people. Its unflinching graphic narration of the lives of a group of homeless people is, well.... devastating. About drugs, addiction, sex, and life. I saved it and kept it tuck away in my computer scrapbook directory as a reminder of my blessings and of our shared humanity.

An excerpt:
"Make the pain go away! I want my daddy! Make it stop!" she moaned over and over, writhing along the 12th Street sidewalk, slamming hands against cement and walls as she made her way up to Market Street. She picked at abscesses on her arms and face, the blood mixing with dirt to leave brown smears wherever she rolled. She screamed and drooled.
SFGate link

No comments: