Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Ebook reader - Sony LIBRIE

Being a reading-geek, I have always wanted to read electronic news and books away from my computer. The laptop had the portability -but had the problem of battery, heat, noise, weight, and readbility. I used my Palm handheld, but the screen was too small, plus it still wasn't as good as paper. So, it was with interest that I heard about projects to display print as good as paper. One of the companies E-Ink came out with the resolution almost as good as paper-print, and it only consumed power when new text is redrawn. So, that was about 2 years ago. I have forgotten about the whole deal. But, it seems like Sony has produced a consumer hand-held for the Japanese market April of 2004. Here's one review:
First, the good news. Initial reports of the screen quality left me quite unprepared for the actual thing. The screen is unbelievable. Not quite paper, more like a dull plastic like look. My first impression of the device was that it was not an actual working unit, but a plastic mock up made for stores. With high contrast black text on a reflective background, the screen has a readability rivaling actual paper. The weight of the book is also quite a shock. About the weight of a long paperback, the book will be both easy on the eyes as well as very easy to hold and carry around.
official Sony product link (in Japanese only)

No comments: