Monday, March 19, 2007

Chinese Font Set in Ubuntu is much prettier than Windows Fonts

I recently installed Ubuntu just for fun on one of my old computers. Later, when I was putting up some pages in Chinese. I was shocked at how much better the Chinese Fonts look in Ubuntu The English looked slightly more polished too, but it's nothing in comparison to the Chinese Fonts. When my brother saw the web page article displaying using the Chinese font set in Ubuntu, he thought they were images. The strange thing is that my sister thinks the Windows font set is cleaner and nicer looking.

Click on the thumbnail for the side by side comparison (Ubuntu is left/Windows is right):



Here's the whole screenshot in Ubuntu:



Here's the whole screenshot in Windows:

This is going to allow me to read Chinese on web browsers. Chinese on a Windows computer was ugly and difficult to read (especially due to my minimal Chinese skills). Maybe I can finally convince my dad to read Chinese articles online too....

No comments: